I'm not going to lie: I eat a lot of animal-based protein. However, I also know that there is an unfortunate environmental toll which meat production takes. Because of this, I like to eat a few meals per week using non-meat sources such as eggs, plants, or protein powder as the protein source in my meal. This week, my meal choice was vegetarian fried rice. It is an extremely easy combination of vegetables, rice, spices, and eggs which you can whip up in no more than 20 minutes and easily have enough leftovers for tomorrow's lunch.
You can add in additional vegetables as you see fit, but the combination of onions, garlic, and bell pepper needs to stay. This is known as a sofrito in other countries, and it is the basis for flavor in the dish. Also, feel free to play with the spices. Cumin, coriander, and red chili flake are all delicious, but if you aren't a spice fan, leave out the red chili flake. Finally, be aware of salt levels here if you are using the soy sauce. It already has a lot of sodium so think about how much salt you put on! You can also you coconut aminos if you are on a wheat-free diet.
Vegetarian Fried Rice Ingredients:
- 1 Cup Uncooked White Rice
- 1 Medium Onion, diced
- 1 Medium Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 Cups Red Cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 Cup Soy Sauce
- 1/2 T Ground Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Ground Coriander
- 1/2 tsp Red Chili Flake (optional)
- 1 T Sambal (optional)
- Sliced Jalapeno (optional)
- 4 Large Eggs
- 1/2 T Avocado or Coconut Oil
Vegetarian Fried Rice Steps:
- Begin cooking your rice according to package directions. While the rice cooks, chop all of your vegetables and set aside.
- Heat a large pan (a wok would be best if you have it) over medium high heat. Add the oil to the pan.
- When the pan and the oil are hot, add in your onions and bell peppers. Cook until the onions begin to turn translucent, and then add the cabbage and garlic.
- Season the mix with the spices, except for the sambal and the soy sauce.
- After the rice is done, add it to the pan with the vegetables. Toss to combine, and then add in the soy sauce and the sambal.
- Add the eggs to the pan, and then thoroughly mix everything to scramble the eggs. Allow the mixture to cook so that some spots become crispy.
- When finished, top the vegetarian fried rice with the sliced jalapeno (if using) and additional sambal chili paste. Enjoy!