In general, I am really not a salad guy. There just is not anything enjoyable about biting into a big bowl of cold vegetables mixed with some below-average protein of choice (most usually something trying to pass as grilled chicken) and then acting like you just love what you’re eating. Let’s be real. Salads scream diet food, and no one likes diet food. But, it doesn’t have to be this way. This southwestern chopped salad is a salad I can really get behind. By chopping up the vegetables all together and then tossing in the citrusy, earthy vinaigrette, the vegetables soften and take on a great flavor. The addition of spice rubbed steak tops off the salad with a delicious hit of protein that does not have the texture of rubber (looking at you, fake chicken), and by adding beans and corn we’ve included a healthy carbohydrate into the mix. All in all, this southwestern chopped salad is a delicious option for a weekday lunch, or a quick, post-WOD dinner.
- 1 Pound of Kale, torn into bite size pieces
- 8 oz. Carrots, diced
- 8 oz. Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 8 oz. Yellow Bell Pepper, diced
- 8 oz. Cauliflower Florets, diced
- 1 Medium Jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 8 oz. Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- 1 Cup Black Beans
- 8 oz. Sweet Corn, steamed and removed from the cob
- ½ Cup Cilantro, chopped
- 1 T. each, Garlic and Shallot, chopped
- 1 tsp. Dijon Mustard
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- ¼ Cup Olive Oil
- 1 T Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Pound Grass Fed Top Sirloin Steak
- 1 T. Ground Cumin
- ½ T. Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp. Red Chili Flake
- 1 tsp. Chili Powder
- 1 T. Salt + ½ T. Black Pepper
- Combine all the vegetables, except the cilantro, in a large bowl and toss to combine. Toss in the black beans and corn, and set aside.
- Combine the garlic, shallot, Dijon, lemon juice and vinegar in a small bowl. Whisk to combine. While still whisking, slowly pour in the olive oil until the vinaigrette comes together. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and then stir in the cilantro. Pour over the vegetables, toss again, and set aside.
- Heat your grill or grill pan over high heat. Rub the steak with the cumin, paprika, red chili flake, chili powder, and salt and pepper. Set aside at room temperature until grill is prepared.
- Grill steak until medium rare, approximately 3 to 3 ½ minutes per side, depending on thickness. An instant read thermometer should register 130 F when done. Remove from grill, cover, and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Slice the steak against the grain, place atop the salad, and serve. Serves 4.
Nutrition: 1 Serving of Southwestern Chopped Salad